Dickinson Mental Health Charity Ball

Monday, October 14, 2013

Autistic!

     I am a strong woman, don't get me wrong, but there are some things that really upset me. Anything that hurts my family or anyone that I care about, including myself, really kills me. I do have to say that I have absolutely had enough with some of the stuff on campus right now. Penn College is a great school and I care deeply about it, but there are some people just like anywhere you go who are absolutely rude beyond belief. The last several days I haven't personally had to deal with them, but I have overheard numerous conversations that have really hurt me.
     At my dorm, we have pods. Approximately nine students live in each pod, but we are more than welcome to have friends over during the day. Quiet hour starts at eleven and our doors lock at ten. Typically my pod has others in it until about eleven, sometimes later. That's okay as long as they are quiet. Last night there were some other students in our pod that were great and some that were not so great. Since most people had their doors open until about eleven, you were able to hear most conversations; especially since the guys can be loud.
     We also have common areas with televisions and couches. Sometimes I like to escape to my room so I don't have to socialize with a bunch of people. I can have some respect and privacy. Lately that respect has been completely lost in the pod. The men who I have been trying to escape from in the common area because of foul language have been in our pod with their girlfriends lately and its really getting to me. For a while they just used the F word which irritated me. Then it just got worse from there.
     Eventually they started using the R word, retarded. A few years back there was a campaign started to end the R word because it was offensive. Now it isn't even a legal term and those who are mentally challenged are now considered intellectually disabled. Last night, not only did I hear retarded several times and the F word numerous times, but I heard Autistic numerous times. The word Autistic is not a bad word, but when it is used inappropriately it can be extremely hurtful.
     Person first language has always been a big part of my life. You don't say they are autistic, you say they are an individual who just so happens to suffer from Autism. Well that hasn't ever really offended me. Thats how tough I am, but even worse happened last night. As I sat in my bedroom last night and listened to the conversations around me I heard comments such as, "Your acting so Autistic" or " That's so autistic of you". In cooperation with these words they continued to use the F word, "Your acting Fucking Autistic". "What the fuck is wrong with you, thats so autistic". Needless to say I am extremely upset even today and so is my mother. My mom has a mighty tough skin and she built a tough skin for me too, but she is even hurt. This is a new problem and a serious problem and something needs to be done about it.
     It heard so bad last night. I ended up shedding a few tears and talking to my mom. I wanted so badly to go over and say, "who said I am not autistic" or someone in this pod right now could be autistic. Something has got to happen and happen fast!!! :(

No comments:

Post a Comment

But I Can and No One Will Stop Me!

       I got off of the bus one afternoon during my middle school years to see an elaborately decorated yellow car sitting in my driveway. I...