Dickinson Mental Health Charity Ball

Monday, December 16, 2013

The Grass Isn't Always Greener

     As many people know, I do see a psychiatrist regularly to manage my anxiety disorder. Today I had my regular check-up with my doctor. It went great, so great that I don't even have to see him again for 3-4 months as opposed to the typical 8 weeks. I was super proud that I have done so well this semester and to get this good news, but the day got even better.
     Today my mother were her Embracing the Amazing sweater shirt (the sweat shirt I am wearing at the top of this blog except hers is red). There was a therapist that had passed by as we were checking out and it caught her eye. My mom pointed it out and said that it read "Embracing the Amazing". My mom told the therapist that I was on the autism spectrum. I began talking with her and telling her how I was hoping to get more stuff from the website we got this shirt from for Christmas. She replied,"better say that a little louder so your mom hears", as my mother was paying for my appointment. My mother overheard and chimed in. I told her what the therapist said.
     As my mother continued to check me out, I told her how I was a proud aspie and that I had seen Dr. Hunter at the office a number of years ago and how much she had helped me. Her automatic response shocked me, but it wasn't unexpected to hear after I thought about it. Her response? "Help you to accept your autism?" I was flabbergasted. I said, "No, she helped me behaviorally, so I could be succeeding like I am today." There are so many things to learn from this situation.
     The first thing is, the grass isn't always greener on the other side. In my situation, I don't wish to be on the other side. I do embrace my autism and I don't know what I would be like if I didn't have autism. I don't think I would be as dead set on my career path, I don't think I would have met some people, and I don't think I would be as happy. Yes, on some days autism can be a challenge and there are some days where I hate it, but I love it more days then I don't. I think this therapist was so used to seeing all these people who just hate their autism and don't want to embrace it. All I needed was some help socially and to manage my anxiety.
      Another thing I learned was that making simple conversation with someone can change the course of your whole day. Simply holding this conversation with a complete stranger and sharing my story opened someone else's eyes. Simply recognizing that someone else is there sometimes can make all the difference. I think that being friendly towards this therapist, made her happy because I was showing that I cared about her, (in my own way), and she showed me that even though I was merely a stranger, she cared about me. I was also able to spread awareness that not everyone with autism is the same.
     I think there are many more things that I could learn from this situation, but it was the sweetest conversation ever. It felt amazing to open someone's eyes who truly cared. It's amazing what a few words can do!

No comments:

Post a Comment

But I Can and No One Will Stop Me!

       I got off of the bus one afternoon during my middle school years to see an elaborately decorated yellow car sitting in my driveway. I...