Dickinson Mental Health Charity Ball

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Alternatives

     I know over the years I wanted to get all the fidgets and sensory stuff to help me cope with over-stimulation because I have aspergers. I was always encouraged to fit in with my peers and not let the little stuff get to me. People would worry that those extra little things would set me apart from my peers, but I have some ideas for those that don't want to go the therapeutic, and expensive brand name sensory stuff.

Weighted Blanket
     Okay yes, this one is from a therapeutic company or can come from a therapeutic company. Having a weighted blanket for falling asleep at night has helped me tremendously. It may be a bit pricy, but on the positive side, its not something that people other than your family really know about. Its not an obvious object like a weighted vest that clearly sets you apart. You use it at home and thats it.

Trampoline
     I have used the trampoline to deter me from many tantrums. It may not stop a tantrum, but it may hold it off or lessen the severity of this. Its not necessary to by some big expensive one from some outrageous company like Fun and Function, but go for the alternative cheap options. I really think any home should have a trampoline. Once again, its not something that people outside the home will think about, but you can't use it outside. Just get those personal ones. When you jump, it gives joint compression to your legs which release chemicals int he brain that relax you, just like the blanket.

Shoes
     Shoes have been a huge problem for me. I hate how they squish your feet. They rub up agains my feet and I can't move my little toes. Back when Crocs were around, i got a pair because they were cool. Low and behold, they became my favorite pair of shoes. No matter how dorky I look, I wear crocs and in the winter some cute boots thats look like Ugg knock offs from Macy's. Maybe not a cheap option, but something that is an easy accommodation.

Pajama's
     It took me forever to convince my family I needed one piece pajama's with feet. It is now the best decision I have ever made and has helped me sleep too. I used to have problems with sleeping and my sleeves coming up. Now I feel whole as one encased in this cute little suit. The only problem is I can only by them around Christmas time. Everyone used to tell me I would be too hot in them, my feet would get tangled, the butt would rip, but no I love them. Now I don't know what I would do without them.

     I really wanted to share these with you because some of them  are really simple and not very visible. You may also have a child that can't communicate how they feel and these may be some options to try and even maybe do the opposite, like always use sneakers. Everyone is different which is important to remember. Accommodations can be fun if you let them be too!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

But I Can and No One Will Stop Me!

       I got off of the bus one afternoon during my middle school years to see an elaborately decorated yellow car sitting in my driveway. I...