Dickinson Mental Health Charity Ball

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Gone Fishing

     Fishing for compliments has always been a weakness for me!!! I am one of those individuals makes something and then asks someone else how I did. I do it all the time. I am constantly going fishing for those compliments, but I feel that those compliments have also hurt me in some way.s Yeah, you make be thinking they hurt me because I rely on others to reward me for my efforts, but thats actually not the problem in this situation.

      The other day something bad happened to me. We all half rough days and some days are rougher than others. I came home and talked to my parents about what had happened. My parents are huge supporters for me. They were shocked what had happened and felt so bad for me, but also let me know later that everything was okay. I had gone fishing and I had caught a fish. I won!!!

        Yes, I do rely on my parents for support. I don't try to trick them into doing things, but that natural fishing tendency for compliments for sympathy is always there. When something happens I tell them about it whether it is really good or really bad, but this time it was something bad. When its something good everything goes okay, but when its something bad, not the so much.

       When this bad thing happened the other day, I kind of just laughed it off. I have gotten kind of good at laughing my stress off in certain situations. This situation I kind of just laughed it off, but I made sure I let my parents know what happened. I originally told my mom who then told my dad. He was shocked then.

       Great!!! I've caught two fish now who are on my team, so now I can throw my self that wonderful pity party and start fixating. Now I can really make myself feel crappy after something had happened that I had actually brushed off. If I have two people who are on my side, my parents for instance, I am ready to latch on and take everything for a ride. They all gave me and inch, but I took a mile and decided to sob and continue to ask questions and say how horrible this event was, but the fact is that its not going to ruin my life and sometimes I need to shut up and get on with life.

      If my parents weren't huge supporters, I probably would have rubbed it off. The fact is that they are huge supporters so I didn't. Its extremely important for me to have good parents as it is for anybody else, but there comes a time where I guess they need to take the bite and go to let me handle my situations on my own. I need to take space and time to heal on my own as this makes things heal much faster. When I have tantrums, I heal faster when no one is talking to me. its the same thing. I get into a big fight when I am upset and when someone is shocked, I make a mountain out of something that is really just a mole hill.

       On the other hand, I really need to work on the compliment fishing. I can't always have people please with me. Yes, I may work hard, but I am an adult and I should be able to soothe and congratulate myself. I shouldn't need to show people a picture I colored and have them tell me how well I did. Not even a puzzle for that matter!!! I am an adult and its about time I act like one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

But I Can and No One Will Stop Me!

       I got off of the bus one afternoon during my middle school years to see an elaborately decorated yellow car sitting in my driveway. I...