Dickinson Mental Health Charity Ball

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Tears of Joy

    Last week I had my graduation which went fabulous. Each individual who graduated this year had the opportunity to create a graduation speech. This was a time to reflect on where you have grown and thank the people that have helped you through your high school years. This was also a time unbeknownst to me, where a teacher, mentor, job coach or boss got to say a little bit about you and how you have changed.

     As I was sitting in line on stage as they had a row of seats for the graduates, I was thinking to myself who could possibly be my speaker. I had no idea. I was called up to give my speech and the individual who gave a speech about me was the learning support teacher I had for my last two years of high school. I was so happy.

     She walked up to the podium and started her awesome speech. Okay I said, I got this!!! I never cry. Well, I cried. Let me tell you I actually shed a few tears of happiness because I was able to see how much someone really cares about your accomplishments. Sure, I have great parents and great people in my life. People tell me how proud they are of me all the time, but that speech that said everything good about me  blew me away.

      If you know me, I never get teary eyed. Well thats not exactly true with all the tantrums I have thrown in life. I do admit I am a very sensitive person, but that is only when something doesn't go my way such as ordering the right pizza. :) mom!!! I don't get upset about big stuff though.

       If I were to go to a funeral, chances are I wouldn't cry. I mean don't get me wrong, I care, but I just don't get emotional. Another example would be that in which everyone important to me cried when I went off with my prom date in my senior year. I just don't get upset like that.

     On the other hand this has changed over the past year or two. I remember going to camp for my last time last year. I was given a gift that had a phrase said by Walt Disney on it. It made my heart melt.  I was washed away with tears. This once again, happened during my graduation where I cried over the kind words everyone said about me.

      Sometimes I feel like a fool because I don't give the proper emotions for a particular situation. Like I said people probably think I am crazy when I don't cry over someone dying. Let me just clarify, I do have empathy, but it is shown in a different way than in the typical person.

No comments:

Post a Comment

But I Can and No One Will Stop Me!

       I got off of the bus one afternoon during my middle school years to see an elaborately decorated yellow car sitting in my driveway. I...