Dickinson Mental Health Charity Ball

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Take a nap!!!

     Really??? I thought this to myself as I lay down in chair and hear the nurse tell me i need to take a nap!!!! I didn't say anything to her, but I sure had a lot that I could say, circling through my head. Last week I had the EEG which will hopefully clear the questions we have had for the past five years. Yes, i have been suffering from episodic amnesia or seizures or anxiety attacks or whatever else you want to call this for the past five years. The fact is that we need to get down to the bottom of it. I went for some diagnostic testing at my local doctor's office this past week and I am still waiting for the answers, but now getting my hopes up.

      As I was sitting in a really comfortable chair, waiting to be hooked up to electrodes, the technician let me know what all she was going to have me do. She told me she was going to put these electrodes on my head and have me do stuff. Then she told me that I could take a "nap", which I thought was fine.  I thought I could try, but if I didn't succeed, oh well. The test began and then the unprofessional nonsense started.

        The tech started off by telling me about all the clients she has had. She told me stories of teenage boys her screamed their head of in agonizing pain and fear. She thought that was ridiculous and so did I but really??? Then when my mom got in the room the lady promptly told me to shut up because I am not supposed to talk during the test. She hadn't said anything about that until my mom stepped foot in the door. She started the test with some sighs and frustration. She told me to do stuff and then told me to go to sleep!!!

           Yes, I was sleep deprived for this test and I was all prepared to fall asleep for the test, but man was I unprepared for this wonderful arrangement and schedule. First of all she told me to take a nap. I closed my eyes and tried to relax, but how am I supposed to do that with the lights on??? Then I proceeded to complain about how cold i was and she told me that its always like that and that she wears jackets down there all the time. Then she had music playing in the background. She also just had to be typing away on her keyboard.

             I got done with the test and she took everything off. My mother then proceeded to ask if i fell asleep. Her response? No, she got dozy. Most seizures happen when you fall asleep or wake up. She didn't give me time or the environment i need to sleep in. You would have thought she would have at least waited for that. Now i still feel back to square one and am feeling very doubtful about this test.

          May I also tell you that i do have aspergers so therefore I have sensory issues. I also have sleep insomnia. The conditions may not be perfect, but if you can make simple accommodations like turning of the lights and music, go for it. Now we have a message into the doctor about whether the results were accurate because someone didn't know how to act professional. May i also say that I am not being picky considering that I sleep with a weighted blanket, about 5 pillows, 3 stuffed animals and birds chirping!!!

We'll se where this goes from here!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

But I Can and No One Will Stop Me!

       I got off of the bus one afternoon during my middle school years to see an elaborately decorated yellow car sitting in my driveway. I...