Dickinson Mental Health Charity Ball

Thursday, August 9, 2012

College??? Psshhh!!!!

    During my grade school years, I was in title one classes and learning support classes. In the beginning I was put in the title one class as a resort for help without a diagnosis. Once I finally go the diagnosis, I was sent to learning support where I did the majority of my work: math, reading, writing, spelling and big projects. I then had the transition to middle school and eventually high school. During my high school years I was placed in itinerate support.

      All through high school I was told by all the teachers that college would be so much harder; i wouldn't have the same support services in college that I did in high school. Fortunately with new technology and new laws passed regarding the ADA, I have been able to get the majority of the same services I got in high school. Some of these services I was receive are extended time on tests, information in alternate formats such as getting my powerpoints ahead of class on my computer, and a word processor for writing extensive tests. I originally thought that I was going to be lucky if I went in looking for extended time on ALL tests. The man asked me what I had as accommodations in high school and he matched it. The only two things that are missing are extended time on PROJECTS, and a social skill group. Sill things, I know!!! Right???

       Often times adults talk about how hard transition is. I don't know if its my outgoing personality or the fact that my parents are huge supporters for me, but I feel as though my transition has moved pretty smoothly. Of course we all have bumps int he road, but they have been small. I am feeling very positive about this college experience. I am excited about college, but let me share you a story first.

      When I was in elementary school, my school district had k-5 in the elementary school and then you moved to middle school. When I was in fifth grade my class was warned to make friends because later on I wouldn't be able to.  Knowing that I had social skill difficulties, I went out and pushed for those friends. I was going to be the popular kid. Well,  you know how that goes!!! I had the largest problems finishing my elementary school years, but i was determined.

      Finally, I got to middle school. I was with a whole new group of kids and I was taking a foreign language. I was set in stone with what I was doing. I made friends and I got along with most of the girls. That teacher who told me that I was going to have trouble making friends was proven wrong. I was prepared to deal with the worst. I wasn't told of good things to come, but I was told of those horror stories.

        Now I am heading off to college. I have been warned that college is going to be hard. I won't have the services that I might have had in high school. I have to let go of my mommy's hand. I have also been told the horror stories of individuals with aspergers who have gone to college. I have heard of kids  who didn't know what to do with there time so they would go outside and pace. I have also heard of kids who have gotten their degree and are working as janitors now. I hear all these horror stories again, but how am I supposed to believe them. Maybe I have been lucky or maybe I am a miracle child. Maybe I don't even know whats ahead of me. No matter I what, I want to believe that the horror stories I have heard have prepared me more than they have hurt me. I want to believe that I will do great in college and I do believe that.

       There have times when I have been told stuff that has hurt me. There have been times where my mother has thought I have been scared off, but the fact is that I bounce back. One might think these stories are hurtful. Maybe these stories are like little pinches or bumps, but they have really helped. If I  wasn't warned about making friends, i wouldn't have worked as hard to make friends in middle school. I would've gone in thinking that it would be easy. For some it may be easy, but for others it might be hard. Maybe things are easier or harder for me than one might no. I think it is good to know and be warned of stuff ahead, but never take anything to heart. College may be hard, but i'm going to leave you with a quote. "The only disability in life is a bad attitude" unkown

1 comment:

  1. And a bad attitude you do not have! Your post is such a tribute to your outlook, your family support, and a God who does seem to give an extra measure of resiliency and tender spirit to those who struggle in some other area. I am so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete

But I Can and No One Will Stop Me!

       I got off of the bus one afternoon during my middle school years to see an elaborately decorated yellow car sitting in my driveway. I...