Dickinson Mental Health Charity Ball

Thursday, June 25, 2015

One Year Ago: A Reflection

     Approximately a year ago, I stared seeing a new therapist due to personal and family issues that needed to be resolved. At that point in my life, I had written a blog titled Shit Happens because there were multiple things that I was struggling with and for all I knew, I was falling down the rabbit hole. Today, I saw that same therapist and as I sat there telling her what I have been up to this summer, she was quite surprised.

     Last summer was filled with tears and almost 40 hours a work a week. I don't really have a better way to describe it than that. This summer has been filled with new friendships, speaking to high school kids with Aspergers, and new adventures. Last time I saw the therapist, I had informed her that I recently biked 8 miles with my family over the previous weekend. This time, I shared with her my recent kayak adventure with a new friend who really enjoys wildlife. That same friend and I went to a semi-local wildcat rescue to see the big cats. My therapist informed me that she would have never thought I was a biker or a kayaker, but she could she me in nature.

     The changes that my therapist is seeing in me are completely normal. The things I have been doing lately are things that I enjoy doing. I'm not surviving, but I living now. The first time I walked into my therapist office, she saw a girl with tears in her eyes that just screamed Help Me! Today as I walked into her office, she saw the real me, not the bad side.

     I am truly a young woman full of life who loves adventure. I love kayaking and taking nature walks. I love bike riding and climbing water falls. I love puzzles, reading and scrapbooking when I need to entertain myself. I love people and sometimes I wish I had more common interests; things that others enjoyed more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

But I Can and No One Will Stop Me!

       I got off of the bus one afternoon during my middle school years to see an elaborately decorated yellow car sitting in my driveway. I...