Dickinson Mental Health Charity Ball

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Charley

     Charley died! Charley is no longer on earth with us and it's really hard to believe. Two years, I didn't really get emotional about stuff outside of my own little sphere. Just last week, I was talking to another individual who has Aspergers and we were discussing how we reacted to particular events. "I don't cry like most people do when someone dies", I said. As I've gotten older, it has gotten harder. Lack of emotions can be one advantage of having autism. 

     I was accepted into the occupational therapy program at school in December and I start in August. I've been checking my school email, on the school portal, everyday this summer. Along with your school email are various other things including announcements. "Student Death Announcement", read one of the announcements. "Seriously, again?", I thought. We have had a lot more deaths at my school in the past two years than is normal. It's sadly one of those things you get used to. I don't know if it was coincidence or not, but I just felt this feeling in my head or in my heart that when I checked the announcement, it was going to be someone I knew (not typically the case). In fact it was.

      It was one of the first friends I made my freshman year in school. We haven't been really been close for a while given that we are in different majors and have different classes and interests, but she was one of the first. Charley was quirky, quirky in such a way that was so awesome! Charley had a hilarious shirt I remember that had a big cat on it that frowned. The caption surrounding the cat was, "this is my happy face". I'll never forget the day Charley was sitting in the common room as my mother and I walked in, my mom having never met her, she stood up, turned around and introduced herself wearing a wonderful Thor helmet with a plastic toy axe! This is just a glimpse into the life of Charley. 

     As my freshman year progressed, we began calling her chuckles, because her best friend, an RA was nicknamed Smiley given her last name was Miley. Eventually her name became Narles, and I'm not really sure why, but it stuck. That's what we called her. I remember one evening, we decided to tackle the boys and convince them to do face masks with us too. Charley will truly be missed. I rally wish we had more time with you Charley. It's really hard to know you are gone. :( 

No comments:

Post a Comment

But I Can and No One Will Stop Me!

       I got off of the bus one afternoon during my middle school years to see an elaborately decorated yellow car sitting in my driveway. I...