Dickinson Mental Health Charity Ball

Monday, December 19, 2011

Football is educational

    I have to admit that tonight I have found out that football is educational as my dad seems to be a typical man and hoard the remote. I have never been a huge fan of football, but the coverage can be very educational. I have no idea how football works, nor do I care how it works. I am not a sports fan, but sitting in front of the television tonight has taught me a huge lesson.

    My mother was talking to me about how my grandmother doesn't understand my aspergers and some of my tendencies. She doesn't understand why I don't like to clean my room and that it doesn't matter to me. After all it is my own room and privacy. My mom had to explain to me why it needed to be cleaned and so I did it. My grandmother kind of understood that. It was left at that then.

     Every child with aspergers had something called little professor syndrome. Mine deals with disabilities. I could tell you all about down syndrome and that there are two types, cerebral palsy and its different types, autism and its different types as well as many different genetic disorders. In fact we were watching a news show the other day where there was a man with a rare syndrome called larsons syndrome. He asked me if I knew what it was. I told him I had never heard of it; he seemed very surprised.

    Over the years, I have gained more and more knowledge about different disabilities. I have even put a lot of effort into studying my own. I know all the key words that trigger people and describe autism. I use them unconsciously. Today, while watching football, the lights in the stadium went out. The media started talking as if all the football players had autism. It was crazy and sounded so abnormal. They were talking about routine and sensory issues. laugh out loud.

     I have always been told to not talk about things such as routine and sensory issues. I have been told not to use the words over stimulated and that my arms and back hurt because I need pressure. its just inappropriate. There is something in autism treatment called modeling. People with autism are not able to pick up on changes that are told to them. Just think, you can't tell an autistic individual to talk. It just doesn't work. If you put an autistic child next to a neurotypical in a video, they may be able to learn. It may not work that extremely, but that is the idea.

      Watching football tonight has taught me through modeling. I have always used strong words to describe my disability because they are descriptive, but I act like more of a doctor and I need to use plain english that sounds normal. After watching this video, I have learned how ridiculous it sounds. It took me seeing it in a structured environment where it was clearly used to understand what I have been doing. I used to come so natural to me. Telling me to knock it off just isn't going to work. I need to see it and understand what I am doing wrong and why.

    Now all I need to work on is that darn interrupting!!! :(

No comments:

Post a Comment

But I Can and No One Will Stop Me!

       I got off of the bus one afternoon during my middle school years to see an elaborately decorated yellow car sitting in my driveway. I...