Dickinson Mental Health Charity Ball

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Holiday Stress

     Around this time of year, you are all scrambling to get christmas shopping and decorating over with. Heck, were a week away. We can all admit its a very stressful time of year, but it may be more stressful for some and less for stressful for others. The autism community will be about ready to go insane come january first, but there are some things you can do.

     Let me start off by stating that I hate weekend without adding holidays to the mix. I normally just sit around the house and chill on my computer or maybe scrapbook. Last weekend, my mom decided that we need to clean up the house. She gave each of us a list of chores, but there was something special she did mine that changed everything. My mom added fun activities. The holidays are a great time to get stuff done.

    During the holidays, the days are very unstructured and have a lack of routine. Routine is essential for people who have asperger syndrome. Like I said this is a great time to get stuff done. Last weekend, my mom made my chore list unique for me. She would give me about three chores and then had me study. She would give me a couple more chores and then I would take a soothing shower. She then gave me a couple more and then told me to go pick some pictures out for her to print so that I could scrapbook. I would then proceed to do more chores. Then she had me bake something.

    There are many different aspects of this schedule that come in very handy for individuals with autism. One advantage to this strategy is structure and leisure. You child will have the structure of a list, but the list will maintain a typical routine with fun activities that the child may enjoy. Remember, it takes time to complete tasks on a list. For instance, picking out pictures to scrapbook could take fifteen or twenty minutes. Baking something could take a while too.

    Another great advantage is lack of restrictive behavior or interest. Individuals with autism tend to fixate on certain things, even though they may enjoy other activities. I tend to sit on my computer and work on puzzles all day even though I like to play wii and scrapbook. I also love to bake. It simply has to do with what I am fixated on at the time.  If you give a child a list, you are in control of what they are doing. They know what they have to do and when. If its something they like, it shouldn't be a problem. This will also increase the child's life experiences. For instance, baking cookies teaches measurement and how to bake.

     In the end everyone will feel good. Not only that they accomplished something, but that they had fun while doing it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

But I Can and No One Will Stop Me!

       I got off of the bus one afternoon during my middle school years to see an elaborately decorated yellow car sitting in my driveway. I...