Dickinson Mental Health Charity Ball

Monday, January 16, 2012

I need some sssss'z

    Well, the last week has been a week of trial and error. When I was in seventh grade, i hit the peak for my sensory issues. I was the most sensitive about sounds. I would throw a complete temper tantrum if I heard a siren. At this same time, I started to have trouble sleeping, which I continue to have today with the help of the all natural melatonin. This week has been a week of trial and error. I need my sss'z. My sss'z are my sleep and my sensory needs.

    Last week, I had a really bad night and at about 4 o'clock in the morning I had absolutely had it!!! I talked to my mom and said that something needed to be done. We called the doc and he raised my melatonin level. I am now on a fairly high and its helping a little bit, but not to the extent that I would like. This week I have been trying several things. For a couple of nights I tried the new dosage. Two nights ago I tried switching beds with my parents and last night I added a heavy blanket to my bed.

    After much experimenting I think I know the trick. My sleep troubles are not due to one factor, but due to many factors. I am surprised it has taken me this long to figure them out. I have sensory issues even when I sleep. I hate that people say that an individual with autism is either sensory seeking or avoiding. Thats not how it is at all. I am sensory avoiding to noise and sensory seeking to texture. I hate sirens, thunderstorms, crowds and unfamiliar places. I love hugs, roller coasters, trampolines and obviously now heavy blankets.

    My sleep habits have been driving me nuts, but now I think I know what I need to do. I slept with a heavy blanket last night, but I was too hot. I love to wear fleece pajamas year round, but I think that is going to have to come to an end if I want to sleep and not put my family through misery. I wore those fleece pajamas with my sheets, comforter and a huge fleece blanket last night. Tonight I am going to take the melatonin and sleep in summer pajamas with the big blanket to see if that helps. If that doesn't I think I might go insane, or just try benadryl as the doctor told me too.

Lets just see if I can convince my mom I need a weighted blanket now!!! :)

1 comment:

  1. I'll bet a heavy down comforter would be great...the weight of those feel so good!! Also... I can't sleep without a sound machine...the sound of rain. I wonder what that would do for you. Some people call it "white noise". When we lay down and it's not on, I lay there wide awake. We even brought it with us when we went on our honeymoon.

    ReplyDelete

But I Can and No One Will Stop Me!

       I got off of the bus one afternoon during my middle school years to see an elaborately decorated yellow car sitting in my driveway. I...