Dickinson Mental Health Charity Ball

Monday, January 9, 2012

Vicki's Back!!!

   This blog is hopefully going to be humorous or at least happy. Let me start off by saying that per Vicki's request, I named my entry Vicki's back. I have also had a great start to the new semester with a great schedule, great people and an eventful semester. The only problem today was that I already lost my zebra hat!!! :(

    As you can see, I am in a very good mood tonight and today went very well. Today was my first day back to classes and I have quite an eventful, but good schedule. This semester I am taking three classes on monday and wednesday. I will have a book club on tuesdays and thursdays and friday I have psychology. I have some good classes and I have more independence which I am very proud of.

    Today was a great day with some new challenges. As I go along my journey to college, I will run into new challenges that will build me up. Today, I had to go to a class all by myself with the assistance of navigating campus from a mentor. On wednesday, I will be navigating campus on my own, taking my own notes and doing some of my own studying. Last semester, my classes were all supervised and I had assistance with everything. I was walked to class, had help with notes and keeping track of assignments. this semester its my job.

    Along with new found independence, I have also found past friends, mentors and peers to greet me on this new journey. We have four interns this semester and Vicki is one of them. I was thrilled to be sitting in the quiet hall oust side my classroom where I had room to do my thing, but was where I needed to be if someone wanted something. I was sitting there quietly studying when a previous mentor came up just to say hi to me. It about made my day. It was great having independence and people I actually knew that cared enough about me to reconnect.


   Well, Vicki is back and she is back with a vengeance. Last semester, I met a wonderful lady named Vicki. She was a mentor and and someone I grew close to. This semester, she decided to come back full force and be an intern in our classroom. Vicki, in case you are wondering is the one who has their hands on my shoulders in the picture posted above. Let me tell you, when Vicki left in the fall, she wasn't going to leave me with out me giving her a hard time. She is very glad to be back and so am I.

   One last story of the day. I came into school very spacey, but I was greeted by some very familiar faces which made me warm up a little and become a little more alert. I wasn't quite sure what was wrong, but something was. I was met by a mentor from last semester first thing in the morning. These mentors aren't obligated to come and hang out with us, but they do it anyway. I was greeted by a mentor who later took me to class. I was so happy to see all these familiar faces and to have great classes.

Here is to a new semester!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

But I Can and No One Will Stop Me!

       I got off of the bus one afternoon during my middle school years to see an elaborately decorated yellow car sitting in my driveway. I...