Dickinson Mental Health Charity Ball

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

The General is Here

   I am not speaking literally right now when I say the general is here, but I am talking about a much bigger topic that affects those with disabilities. It doesn't just affect those with aspergers, but people with disabilities in general and that is invitations. Invitations are so hard to get for someone with a disability.

   Have you ever seen The Middle? The Middle is a show that airs on wednesday nights, on ABC. I think its a channel that anyone with basic cable gets. The show is about a typical middle class family that lives in The United States. There are three kids, each with different personalities. They have two boys and a girl.

    The girl is really quirky and I guess you could say she has the girl version of aspergers, but it has never been disclosed in the show. My parents say that I am like the girl in many ways and I definitely do agree. I have absolutely no style and I am very exuberant yet let down at many times. I am also rarely invited to social events. This show has a character that represents everyone in an american family.

   The older boy is similar to my brother. The typical boy who wants nothing to do with the family and comes up the the corniest of ideas. The one who gives you attitude, unless they have started the conversation. This boy is the classic  teenager.

   Then there is brick. We can never forget about brick. Brick has many social quirks and I believe he portrays a boy with aspergers, but I could be very wrong. He always has his head in a book. has no friends and whispers under his breath.

   The point that I am trying to get at though involves the girl in this family. Due to her quirks, she isn't very popular. I have gone through many of the same situations she has gone through, including not sitting at the cool table at lunch. I will never forget fifth grade, but that is another story for another blog entry.

   Too often, the sweetest and most outgoing yet quirky individuals are left out. People with disabilities have emotions and want to have friends. I believe that people have to understand that they need to give us a chance to show who we really are. I feel like to often, we are only invited to the events that for the GENERAL PUBLIC. Yup all the parties that Sue went to were for everyone, but she thought she was cool.

   The parties we are invited to, are miracles. We get excited over the GENERAL parties because we don't know what is really out there. We don't have friends that care enough to invite us to them, let alone invite us to come over. Its something that individuals with special needs struggle with and something we need to change.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Jordon,

    I did not have aspergers growing up and I wasn't invited to all the parties either. Unfortunately, life in middle and high school are the hardest years socially for many different reasons. The people who didn't invite you to parties or let you sit at their "cool" table would have never really been a true friend anyway. Most of those kids didn't know who they were and so most of them followed a crowd to try and find out, sometimes giving up their real self. So, you're actually the lucky one who knows you, understands you, accepts you and love yourself without following the "in" crowd. The friends you will have in the future will truly understand you and invite you into their life with open arms and minds.
    I would love to meet you someday. Your mom was one of my friends growing up on Burr Street. Please give her a hug for me. Paige

    ReplyDelete

But I Can and No One Will Stop Me!

       I got off of the bus one afternoon during my middle school years to see an elaborately decorated yellow car sitting in my driveway. I...