Dickinson Mental Health Charity Ball

Sunday, July 31, 2011

bbbs/basketball

I am fortunate enough to be a part of our local big brothers big sisters program. Due to the diagnosis of aspergers, I am considered you at risk. My mom also contacted bbbs at a time when I was really struggling and since then I have been doing great!!!
    Big brothers/Big sisters often time has activities that we do as a group. They always invite  you to join and you can either say yes or no. I more than likely will say yes to anything unless i have something else already planned.
     Yesterday I had the opportunity to got to a car show that our local chapter was supporting. They had a kidzone dare I say it considering I am a young adult. They invited a bunch of kids from the program to come out and have some fun with other kids. I decided to go. I was a blast.
      The first thing that started to bring me a smile was when we first got there. There were about five of us "kids". The mentors had to bring stuff over to the kid tent where we would be hanging out. They packed the stuff up on a mule and a a trailer. These people offered to transport us too. It was awesome. when we arrived at the tent we were greeted by 6'5" in height girl basketball players who were giving us gifts. It was amazing. I even got a hat from them and got it autographed by all the girls.
        Later on we got separated into groups with our friends and a basketball player. The groups were small so we got the undivided attention of the girls. I had a blast and our girl was so sweet to us. We played uno, got to know each other and ate pizza together. We were the center of attention as well as them. They cared for us so much. They did what we wanted to do and then they were the center of attention because we looked up to them. I feel like this was a really neat experience and I thought I would share it. It made my day!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

But I Can and No One Will Stop Me!

       I got off of the bus one afternoon during my middle school years to see an elaborately decorated yellow car sitting in my driveway. I...