Dickinson Mental Health Charity Ball

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Life/College/Work???

For the past four years I have been going to an alternative program. No, this does not mean I am bad. This just means that I went to a high school that was for different learners. I really enjoyed my time there. In the summers I would spend my time at summer camps and on occasion help out my old babysitter who to this day we are still friends with. I have never had an actual job before. I have had job coaches and work experiences, but no real job where I fend for myself.
      This summer has been a lot of change for me like it would be for anyone. Considering the fact that I have asperger syndrome, sometimes it makes the transition a little harder. I was first overwhelmed by my graduation party which hosted over fifty people. Yup I said 50 people. The party was awesome, but I had never been to a party that big and I was kind of happy that it was all about me. When the party was over, there was a little part of me that was jealous or maybe I should say selfish. Now I wish that everyday was meant for me. Anyway that is one change I am going through.

As I said before, I started a job this summer which is another big transition. It is not a bad transition, but it is a transition and it does contribute to anxiety. I love my job. This summer I am working at an adult daycare that I have been volunteering at for three years. I have loved working with the clients there day in and day out, but with being an employee instead of a volunteer, you have a lot more expectations that I wasn't expecting. There is some stuff that I don't have to learn since I will only be there for the summer, but then there is other stuff that I must learn and not complain. I don't know what is what because I need a fine line and sometimes there isn't one.

Along with work, I am starting college. I am going to a program that is a stepping stone to real college. I will still be part of my school district while taking college classes. I am quite excited about this experience and I look forward to sharing more in the future. As of right now I have had a lot going on and it is all good stuff!!! :)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

But I Can and No One Will Stop Me!

       I got off of the bus one afternoon during my middle school years to see an elaborately decorated yellow car sitting in my driveway. I...