Dickinson Mental Health Charity Ball

Sunday, July 1, 2012

The Hugging Swing

    The beach may have been a little anxiety provoking, but let me tell you what, I had some fun too. I spent a lot of time swimming in the pool, reading and of course I had my computer with me so I didn't lose my sanity. I also brought a puzzle along which my dad took over, but oh well I have a new one to start at home now too.

     Everyday we would wake up around 8 and the boys would wake up in between 10 and 11. This was a good time to chill in our pajamas and wake up. I got my breakfast and spent sometime with my parents. Some mornings we went out and did stuff. One morning we went to an aquarium and met an albino turtle named Nimbus. Other days we decided to play mini golf.

      Around lunch time everyday, the boys and I and sometimes my mom would hop in the pool to cool down. Mom would hop out while we were still swimming and make us a nice yummy lunch Eventually the boys would head back inside and I would get in my hugging swing. I did this everyday with a towel or blanket before I laid down to read and a take a nap. The first day it was just a swing, but then it turned into the hugging swing.

        The hugging swing became my new best friend this week. I was able to curl up in a ball and squeeze myself into this hammock like hanging swing. It was different from your typical hammock. I was able to hop in it and sit indian style with my back laid back. It was start swing from side to side and I was able to relax. I found this swing to be calming. It kind of gave me a big hug or as therapists like to say that added pressure that I need to calm down. It really helped with my anxiety.

         When I first started sitting in this swing, I thought it was the coolest thing around. I tried to keep my mouth shut though because I knew automatically that it was helping with sensory issues and people don't want to hear about that all the time. My mother finally figured out why I liked it so much. She then proceeded to comment on how amazed she was that this swing was really actually helping me and I felt hugged in it.

         The fact is that you don't always need to go to those fancy sensory websites to get therapeutic stuff. Simple stuff like a beach hammock helps a whole lot. As long as I put a blanket on this wiry swing, I was calm and about ready to fall asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

But I Can and No One Will Stop Me!

       I got off of the bus one afternoon during my middle school years to see an elaborately decorated yellow car sitting in my driveway. I...