Dickinson Mental Health Charity Ball

Monday, July 9, 2012

Because I have Aspergers...

     I really do have to say that I am really starting to enjoy the fact that I have Asperger Syndrome. There are a lot of cool things about it. I have a particular interest that will lead to a great career. I have been surrounded by individuals with special needs and individuals who work in the field. I am a really happy person and I really never was a snotty child. (Sorry a little bragging, but ask my mom) lol

      I have always had an interest in different disorders. I have always had a good idea about different conditions. I know that everyone learns differently. Most people with aspergers are visual and like schedules. Most people with Williams Syndrome learn through music. This intense interest has really grabbed hold of me as I have gotten older. I now want to become an Occupation Therapist. I think this is great!!! My conditions has lead me in the right direction. I also want to go into public speaking and advocacy which is another plus.

         Consider the fact that I have a learning disorder, I have been immersed in classes with other special needs kids pretty much my whole school career. I have been exposed to that population which in my opinion, has lead to greater acceptance. I have a passion for these individuals. I care about them and I want to help them. I currently work at an adult daycare and I love it!!! Then there is one other thing that about my aspergers that has lead me, probably further than any other aspect. The teachers I have had through my school career.

           I have had good teachers and bad teachers. I have had good caregivers and bad caregivers. I have ran into bullies and I have run into friends. The people who have been nice to me, have kept me happy. The people who have been mean to me, have built me stronger. I think this has been a great aspect of having aspergers. I have had the experience of dealing with nice people and people who don't understand me. I am able to articulate how I feel about stuff. I feel that dealing with these situations and being able to understand them has made me grow. I have learned that I want to be like the nice people and treat the next generation better than my generation. Thats all there is to it!!! I want to give back in a way that I would want to be treated!!!

          There are many different things, as you can see, that I love about having Aspergers. On the other hand, I really don't know what Aspergers holds for my future. I know I am young, but just like every child or young adult, you dream of having your own children. This is something I think about often. I love kids. They say the cutest things and are the most innocent thing on the planet. I think about this very often and about what my kids would be like when I grow up. I have to think about what my kids will have to deal with. They will have to deal with my quirks. Will I have enough emotional control? The most important question is, what will my children have to deal with? What will my brothers kids have to deal with?

         Lets face it, I am a health nut!!! I'm not the losing weight type, but the worry wart about every condition known to man!!! Having aspergers really makes me think about my future and the next generations future. Not only do we have heart disease and diabetes to worry about, but now we have mental illness and autism to worry about. That's cool if there is a child who has aspergers, but what if they struggle more than me.

        What about mental illness??? I have anxiety and others have had mental illness in the past!!! I have dealt with people who aren't happy. I don't want to pass unhappiness and struggle onto kids. Then I read these awful articles about different medications that have horrible side affects. What if I told someone that I am on a medication that basically guarantees a deadly disease as an adult? Now What? How do I deal with that in the future. Due to my bodies chemical balances due to a medication, will I pass those same chemical imbalances to my child!!! Will they then have the same problems just because i had abnormal balances???

       The fact is that Aspergers and autism don't just have social deficits. I technically have a whole list of diagnosis that I really don't know what the future holds. I could definitely escape some issues, but to be perfectly honest, I have had pretty much every condition associated with aspergers. Some of which I talk about and some of which I rather not to discuss. The fact is that I am still growing, but we all think about our future. There is tons that will happen from now until then, but you need to think ahead. I have a bright future out there!!! I need to look at the positive side.

      I have a great career path. There is possible public speaking involved. I am happy. I have a good network of support. I have a tight knit family. So what if I have certain medical conditions that could affect my future. Right now I am happy!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

But I Can and No One Will Stop Me!

       I got off of the bus one afternoon during my middle school years to see an elaborately decorated yellow car sitting in my driveway. I...