Dickinson Mental Health Charity Ball

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Vanishing Pain

    Lately there has been a lot of struggle in my life. Obviously I have the aspergers. I also have anxiety and sleep insomnia. On top of that, if you have followed me for a while, you would know that my seizure disorder has come back. This has been a very painful time for me for several reasons. First off, its awful to have someone tell you that you have a condition that you had outgrown. I have also had help along the way though. One of the best things thats helped me is Camp Victory. Camp victory is a special needs camp for kids of all kinds. There is no place like Camp Victory.

    When I was in third grade, I had met with a new neurologist. As I was leaving her office, she gave me a pamphlet with a huge chameleon on the front. The pamphlet read "Camp Chameleon." It had things that we would do at camp (fishing/boating, Archery, Swimming, Arts/crafts, games, ropes course etc). Along with that, on the one side of the pamphlet, they had a whole list of staff and doctor's who would be at camp. My mom knew right away that this was the place for me.

    I have to say that I was a bit anxious to go away from home. It was only for a weekend, but it was two hours away from home. I had never been anywhere with out my parents or people close to me. I was going head on into this. On the day of the trip, we embarked on our trip. Mom had packed my suitcase with everything I needed. It felt like it was a really far trip, but that's because I was little.

    We got off the high way and headed into the country. I couldn't even imagine what this camp was going to be like. Along the way we talked about what I would be doing. I kept searching for what camp could possibly be like. One of the first signs that I was near camp was a huge pond. I wondered if that was where camp was, but we weren't sure. It was close to camp, but we didn't know. We turned onto the property which was out in the middle of no where. We headed down the road looking for what was next. We finally arrived at the main building and I saw the swimming pool behind it. I knew I was in for a great weekend.

    I hopped out of the car and was greeted by the staff and the doctors. We checked in my medications    and went inside to have some fun. Of course we had to unpack before I did anything fun so we went over to our fully furnished cabins with tiled floors and a bathroom with flushing toilets. it was amazing and they even had bunk beds which thrilled me. The first year was a circus theme. We headed over to the Rec Hall where I saw table after table full of crafts. I was hooked immediately. I was worried about my parents leaving, but all the fun stuff distracted me and I didn't even realize my parents had left. One of the crafts I remember doing my first year was a horse head I painted that we would attach a post to so I could put it in my front garden. I had help from the nicest people from the start. They took me to each station to have some more fun. They were very comforting and caring.

    Later on that evening we were able to take a walk around camp and see what all there was to see. We also played some pretty crazy games with putting shaving cream on our counselors head and then aiming cheetos to throw on them. We also went on a hayride at one point. We had a camp fire where we had an awesome lady named KJ come with her guitar and sing with us. To this day I always miss her along with camp all year. The music took all the pain away and we were able to sing silly songs.

    Before I knew it my parent shad arrived that Sunday. I had a small suitcase full of junk from a carnival we had he day before they arrived. I swear I don't think I have ever seen that much fun stuff for one child over one weekend. We were spoiled To this day we always get some special treat each year of camp we go to. We ended the week with our parents and a lady named K would bring drums in to play with us.

    From that weekend forward I continued to go to this camp for 10 years. I got to the point where I pretty much had memorized some parts of the drive. As soon as I got close to camp, I got really excited. Once we arrived, I would jump out of the car and say see ya to my parents before we wold even unpack. For the last couple of years of camp, I would arrive early because I was so excited. it was family.

    During this weekend, I was in my home away from home. All the agonizing pain of not being accepted for who I was, was gone. I was with people who understood me. I didn't have to be judged for my aspergers nor my epilepsy. I have to tell you, before this weekend, everyone I knew was scared of my seizures. One lady that had a summer camp i went to felt so uncomfortable, that I had to stay in waist high water while swimming with a life jacket on too. I know I couldn't swim, but up to my waist with protection? She was scared I would have a seizure.

My first year of camp, we took a nature walk. When we hit the "forest" the first thing we saw was a rock wall to climb. We weren't allowed to climb it much to our dismay, but we were told that we could do it the following year. Low and behold we were able to do this every year forward. My guess now is that it was just being constructed and evaluated for safety at the time as we have added several new things every year and our camp normally come to early in the summer to experience he new thing until the next year. This year we got an awesome zipline.


We also have a great lake to boat and fish on. We always have fun using our paddle boats on the pond. The only thing that tempts us to get in to trouble is a beautiful fountain in the middle that we like to go under but were not allowed. Its tough work paddling that boat, so sometimes we take a break to catch some fish.



 Every year we have a fabulous camp fie with kj and her guitar. We sing all sorts of fun songs and we also have some favorites. If its rainy we go into the dining hall and use the cozy fire place. We don't let the rain stop us from having fun. How can you have a campfire with out s'mores?




Every year at the end of camp we have a dinner with the families and we get to sit with our friends and their families. We have an awesome award ceremony and every camper gets to feel special. My mom has an awesome business that provides us with a new gift every year. This year below it was a water bottle with camp chameleon on the front. (my specialty camp). One  year I got recognized for being the best rock wall climber and another year I got the award for being the best stick bug maker ( a craft we had at our insect theme week).



And here it is, the rock wall, my favorite. We have three rock walls ranging in difficulty with a cargo net on one side. I always climb the net and the wall. here I am being let down after a successful climb up the net.



here I am with a best bud. He had the same name as me, which I find is pretty cool. He went to camp as long as I did. First year and last year. He is probably the sweetest little guy I have ever met. Of course we are older now, but still. We are only a year apart too. In the background is us getting ready for an unbirthday party for the tenth anniversary of camp itself ( my eighth year).




Tenth year of camp itself again. We got to dress up and go trick or treating at the different cabins and we were split up into groups. This year we got a third camper with our name. Its amazing that out of the 15 campers 1/5 of us had the same name. Pretty cool huh? For years we would distinguish by boy and girl insert name. This year we couldn't do that and the two girls also had the same first initial of our last name too. Made it a little difficult with crafts. I decided since we had the same initials I would say my name and how many years i had been going to camp, but that didn't work either because she was as old as how many years I had gone each year.



My final year at camp. Can you picture anyone else happier? I love this camp. I got my graduation gift from camp and was very enthused. This camp couldn't have done for me than it has. Sadly I am no longer a camper, but fortunately I am still connected to the gang and help out every year now, which mean a lot to me. I am able to give back to something that meant so much to me. I am able to give younger campers the positive experiences I had.

    Two years ago, I was filmed for a documentary for Camp Victory. I got to add my input and my parents did to. They also filmed me having a good time at camp. My parents highlighted how happy I felt at camp. all the pain disappeared for the weekend and to this day I miss camp after the summer is over and can't wait until the next year. If you are interested int eh documentary, which shows how amazing camp is, its called The Camp Victory Story and it is through WVIA a brain of PBS. There is a trailer on youtube and you can by the dvd. Well here is a photo of the camp experiences through the years.


No comments:

Post a Comment

But I Can and No One Will Stop Me!

       I got off of the bus one afternoon during my middle school years to see an elaborately decorated yellow car sitting in my driveway. I...