Dickinson Mental Health Charity Ball

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

A Major Catastrophe


        Last week I was scheduled for placement testing for college. The college I am going to be attending is a technical school that requires placement in both math and reading. The test takes about an hour and just tries to measure where you are standing since coming from high school. It shows what material you have retained and what material you need remediation in.
     When we were given my placement test date, my parents decided that we would schedule a campus tour. They hadn't seen the campus like I had and I am going to be attending college there next year. When we schedule the tour, we were unaware that it would be pouring down rain and I have officially discovered I am not a duck.
     Sensory issues are a huge issue (sometimes). Being a duck or someone who likes water would not describe me. First off, when I was getting prepared, I cared more about my entertainment needs on the road than I did about what I wore for the weather. That should tell you something and if you don't know what I am going to say next then, well you don't know me.
     In the midst of worrying about what I was going to wear, I made the CHOICE to WEAR MY CROCS. This was a BAD CHOICE on such a RAINY day. Really, I did think about this. I thought that my crocs are waterproof because they are rubber and the sole is a good inch thick. So it wasn't all a loss of common sense. What I didn't know was that the pouring down rain would collect to a total of 1-2 inches of rain on the ground at all times. This would lead you to believe that maybe I could scoot by with crocs, but NOOOO. The water was just high enough to seep into your shoes, never mind the splashes that happened with every stomp in the black puddles. If you know me I have this sixth sense for standing in the wrong place at the wrong time. I will be the one who kicks the crumbs that were swept up across the floor or steps in the puddle of oil at our local grocery stores parking lot. I just don't see stuff.
     I took a deep breath and thought about this. My feet were freezing and I'm pretty sure I was drenched in water from my toes to my knees, especially with all the water I stepped in. I'm not the one who sees stuff, nor am I the who does stuff lightly. I was the one most likely to break a crayon from drawing to hard as a child. Lets put it that way. Of course when it comes to shaking hands, I guess I can't shake hard enough. Who Knew? I came to the conclusion that even though my feet were wet and I had to sit in testing for an hour with wet socks, crocs and pants, it was way better than sitting in wet underwear in your psychologist's office in seventh grade. True story!
     I finally made it through lunch and the testing. I knew I would be okay. I could handle wet socks even though I couldn't stand the feel of rain drops on my arms. The rain drops just hurt so bad as they hit against my skin. Think about when something startles you. That jump and that pain or skip of a heart beat you get. Think about that happening every time a COLD rain drop falls on your skin. You never know when they are going to hit or where. Even if you did, its cold.
      On the way home, I took my socks off and discovered that wearing fuzzy socks was not a good idea either while walking in the rain because they really absorb water; probably about a pound or maybe even two. Try it someday. I thought I was done for the evening and then I got a text from my friend asking if we were still planning on going to Rita's ice after dinner. Great, I had been craving the ice since they opened. We were finally going, but I seem to always go to Rita's when it rains. I don't know if its my luck or what.
     I told my friend that it would be great and to meet at my house at a certain time. I put my shoes on the shoe shelf and got cuddled up. Okay, maybe thats a lie because I never put my shoes on the shoe shelf because I am too lazy and just kind of through them there. Anyway, they were inside and the mammoth fur inside them was soft but thin. Remember those socks I told you about that absorbed all that water? Well when I went to put my crocs back on they were STILL DRENCHED.
     If you've ever seen the veggie tales or have been raised with them, you probably know the hairbrush song. At this point in time, I am pretty sure that this song sums up the situation and I was not going to leave until I found a different pair of shoes that were acceptable. That meant that I wasn't going to wear sneakers which was nearly impossible because I don't have much else. I have a pair of boots that I stared right at and still didn't see them. i know this because I came back later to see them right where I had looked. I finally found a croc, my friend already out the door praying I was going to go insane because of a pair of crocs.
     I stomp of the stairs with my fat feet because I always doing everything hard and never lightly. I walk into my and yes, there is the other croc. You might be asking me why they were on two different floors in my house and fortunately for me, I don't have to blame myself for once. My organization was perfectly fine. The blame? My cats!!! Yes, my cats like to "hunt".
     I walked into work the next day and of course people had to ask me what the heck happened to my shoes. I replied that it was my cat. The answer I got back was, "I shoot the damn cat if I were you", understanding that this was coming from the most sarcastic crazy cat lady I knew, I kind of had to chuckle.
     Needless to say, next time it rains, I better know where my boots are or keep my crocs dry!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

But I Can and No One Will Stop Me!

       I got off of the bus one afternoon during my middle school years to see an elaborately decorated yellow car sitting in my driveway. I...