Dickinson Mental Health Charity Ball

Friday, December 14, 2012

Life is Good

      I've said time and time again that my parents never really knew what to expect from me. They knew I was different and they knew I had struggles, but they didn't know what those struggles would mean. "She'll have to live in a group home when she grows up", my mom would hear from coworkers and friends. They only saw the disability in me though, not the potential to change the world. I may have struggles, but I still can succeed and that's what this is all about.
     Last night I was laying on the couch in the living room surfing the net. "Go look on the table because there is something from Penn Tech there for you", my mom abruptly blurted out. There was no conversation. Heck we weren't even in the same room, but it was just a thought. "Is it my acceptance letter", I asked. She told me she didn't know and she told me I should probably just go open it up. We are already in the application process and continuously getting mail from them. It wasn't a real surprise, but most stuff comes through email.
     I put my computer down and I jumped off the couch in anticipation. I was just thinking about college earlier. Earlier that day, I had attended a christmas dinner with my coworkers at a local restaurant. I thought about the fact that I had been going to these dinners for three years now and I probably wouldn't be coming back next year because I would be away at college. It was a really sad thought, but I knew it would be good. I went over to open the envelop and the first thing I saw was a HUGE financial aid packet. I thought about it and thought about the fact that I hadn't been accepted yet. I didn't understand why they were giving me junk about financial aid yet. I told my mom and she asked if there was anything else. I dug deep and found the letter.
     I was accepted into Penn Tech for their pre-occupational therapy degree. It was so exciting to find this out. I haven't really applied anywhere else, but here. I wanted to go to Penn Tech, because I knew there teaching style and small classes would be perfect for me. They also have really nice housing. I shuffled through the papers as I thought how easy this was to be accepted. There is still a lot to do, but its just money and housing type stuff.
     The fact is, I got into my first college of choice. There were days in my past that my parents didn't know I would be able to attend college. Today, its a true story, not just a fantasy. It took a lot of work to get where I am though. There were tears and there were giggles. There were triumphs and and also some hardships, but I have made it, even though I am lazy too.
     After all the excitement I told my mom that life is too easy on me. I volunteered at an adult daycare when Iw as a teenager and now I work there. I have worked there for over a year now with aspergers. People with aspergers have an extremely hard time with social relationships and team work. My mom almost hoped I would get fired from my first job so that I could learn something, but that didn't happen. Even at my second job, I am still doing well.
      Now after much nagging, I was accepted to my college of choice.I filled out the paper work and got my transcripts to them LAST MINUTE and I still got in. What on earth is this teaching me? All I can see is that its not that hard to just scoot by in life. I know thats not the case though and I can't get that thought stuck in my head, but even as an adult I have just had everything given too me. What is going to happen when something doesn't go my way? I can't just through a huge hissy fit.
       I expressed to my mom how I felt about this and how easy this was. I told her that I didn't think I was learning anything thing and that I was just getting stuff without working. I'm not struggling right now. She replied by telling me not to jinx my self. lol She also told me that I have had a lot of my own struggles and hurdles that have been just as mighty to overcome. My response was, "What are you talking about, I don't get it." Yeah, after all the tears I have shed over losing friends, having teachers not understand me, not finding the right doctors, having people segregate me and so much more, I still bright and can overcome anything. I may fixate on stuff, but I let it go. I just keep chugging along!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

But I Can and No One Will Stop Me!

       I got off of the bus one afternoon during my middle school years to see an elaborately decorated yellow car sitting in my driveway. I...