Dickinson Mental Health Charity Ball

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Wake Up

      Giggles had burst from the kitchen, up the stairs and through the hall at 7 o'clock this morning. It wasn't the best way to wake up for this chick who doesn't sleep through the night 80% of the time. I woke myself up enough to figure out what was going on, check the time and slam my head back onto my pillow. I snuggled up with my stuffed animals, covered up with my weighted blanket and took some deep breaths as I tried to ease myself back into a light sleep. I finally decided that I was going to get off my lazy butt and tromp down the stairs to see who was here.
      I got to the bottom of the stairs, walked into the kitchen with my head tilted over to the left in my half asleep pose. "Good Morning", I said to my mom in the groggiest voice you could imagine. "Put your head back up J, geesh", my mom replied back. I did a check over my body making sure I was okay. Everything was alright I was just half asleep. I put my head up and my eyes on mom!!! "It's only 7 o'clock, can I go back to sleep?" Yes, head right on up.
      I scuffled my tired feet up the stairs and curled right back up in bed. I got situated with my stuffed animals and weighted blankets. I was already to go back and get an extra hour of sleep. I threw my head back down on my pillow and closed my eyes all ready to take a nap. Ding Dong!!! The second I laid my head down the, door bell rang. "Who on earth could be coming to the door at this hour?" I thought.  I lay there in bed thinking about the fact that I just got my lazy but out of bed to tromp down the stairs to see why everyone was laughing. My mother was awake, grandma was awake, and Vicki a family friend was just leaving to go to work for the day; Vicki takes showers at our house everyday after the gym since she lives a town over from us and needs to go to work. It was a typical morning, but grandma was awake before me.
     I lay there wide awake in bed pleading to get some sleep. I hear the chitter chatter of the women downstairs. I recognized the voices. "Hello Pam", my mother shouted, which bellowed through the house. Our cleaning lady had just arrived. Let me remind you that this was before 7:30 in the morning and I don't have to be to work until 9. "Hello" She sat her cup of coffee down and headed straight for the laundry room as she always does. As I listen to them talk, I finally decide that maybe I should go down stairs. The whole house is awake. I head down stairs, Pam is in the laundry room and my mother and grandma are sitting at the kitchen table chowing down on breakfast. This is not your typical morning!!!
     I head to our freezer which is in the laundry room, look to the top and find out that my Captain Crunch is gone. Next, I head back into the kitchen, look around to see what else is for breakfast and I see a cake sitting there. The cake is still un-iced so there goes that option. I re-enter the laundry room, look up and grab a bowl of Cinnamon Toast Crunch. My Favorite!!!
        I pour a bit of milk into my cereal and head to the television room,  to watch the Today Show as I and eat my breakfast whilst still in my pajamas. "Change into clothes before you eat breakfast", my mother snaps at me. "I don't have to leave for another hour, leave me alone", I snap back at her.  I eat my breakfast and come back into the kitchen to be social where I find my mother icing the darn cake. If only I had waited a bit I could have had cake for breakfast. "Cereal is healthier", I think to myself, "it will be okay".
         I finish up breakfast and relax for a little bit before I head out the door. I sit in the dining room to work on a puzzle while my mom and grandma chat over coffee. "Call Heather and tell her your going to be late", my mom tells me. I get up and call Heather who is my boss at work, she is always great about dealing with my tardiness. She knows we have transportation difficulties."I'm going to be a little late today because my grandmother is leaving", I tell her. "That's fine", she says. Secretly in my head I know exactly what is about to happen. My mom hopes to wait until 9:30 to take me to work, but at 8:45 the door busts open again.
     "Good Morning", I hear in the most charming voice I know. My1cent had just arrived to work for the day. She also seems to be my personal taxi driver too. "Yes!!!" Purely due to My1cent bursting through the door, I know that my driver has switched over to her. I put a huge smile on my face, change into clothes, put my shoes on and grab my lunch. I am ready to head out the door. "I knew this was going to happen." I'm sure when My1cent walked in, she thought the same thing. As we head out the door I am already shooting questions at her about her kids and how they are. I asked her about her new house and the puppy. I asked her when I could come over again.
      We get onto one of the main roads in our city and head towards my job at an adult daycare. We always pass a McDonalds on the way. For a while it was closed because they were doing some massive remodeling which completely through my1cent and I for a tail spin. We're both addicted to sweet teas.
      Many days you will hear me asking my mom fi we can stop and get sweet tea on the way to our final destination. "Can we stop and get sweet tea?" This question is normally followed by "no we don't have time honey" which typically comes from my mother. One time it was then followed by, "its so addicting."  "Honey, McDonald's sweet tea is like the crack of ice tea", my mom once said. True story and this goes to show how much we love it.
     My1cent and I nearly speed by McDonald's in a race to get to work. At the last my minute I ask her her pretty please with a cherry on top if we can stop an get sweet teas. "It''s too late", she tells me since have already past the entrance supposedly. "No there is another one here." "Alright fine", she says as we pull into McDonald's. I grin from ear to ear. We grab our sweet teas and head off to work where I actually arrive fifteen minutes early. Fancy that!!!
     I head into work, put my sweet tea in the kitchen and greet the chef. I fill out my time sheet and check to see what we are doing for the day. That day we ended up making wreaths which were absolutely adorable. This goes to show you that I have no choice be flexible anymore. i am a grown women who is learning how to function in society. Just because I have aspergers doesn't mean I can't be happy or flexible. What keeps me happy is staying busy. Most days I would fixate on how crappy my morning would be, but on this day I was a rockstar and laughed instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

But I Can and No One Will Stop Me!

       I got off of the bus one afternoon during my middle school years to see an elaborately decorated yellow car sitting in my driveway. I...