Dickinson Mental Health Charity Ball

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Don't say that!!! Its a bad word.

     We all know its autism awareness month. I am extremely happy that we have a whole month devoted to autism, but there are some negative things about it that most people don't know. To be perfectly honest, living in an aspie world and putting up with such things is driving me nuts. This month is Light It Up Blue for autism. Most condition awareness programs have a color, but autism's blue color is bad because its not just about autism its about the overpowering organization who promotes it.
     Most people in in The United States have heard of Autism Speaks. It is a huge organization that is run by money. They are a web based services that gives screening tips and basically compiles all news sources about autism each day. They make you think that they are raising money to help people on the spectrum, but they are raising money to have a bigger voice. The richer you are the better you are as a business.
     If you actually look at there website, you won't find anywhere that Autism Speaks itself provides services to families. When you look under the services tab, they show there campaign, there blog and other resources that you could happily look up on the internet by yourself. They don't have chapters, therapies, conferences, or research. Under there research tab, they have all the news stories of other researchers. When you look at where the money goes, the majorities of the millions of dollars made every year go to the president and what not.
     Now when you look at the title, it gets even worse. Autism Speaks!!! What do you think this means? Well if you go to their youtube channel, you will clearly see that there belief is that people with autism are locked inside their own mind by the devil with no voice or chance at life. We need to feed them and give them everything in life. Are you kidding me? I was told that I would be living in a group home as an adult and here I am going to college. I was never an unhappy child because I couldn't communicate properly. If you have the will, energy and right supports, you will succeed. What makes Autism Speaks think that feeding in to everything thing and telling the world that the devil is inside of them is giving them support? Use the damn money to go toward the services so they are terrorized.
     Now that you have a little background, I want to share with you the whole autism awareness month part. I think autism awareness month is great, but I would be much happier if it was a rainbow theme as in the puzzle pieces design as opposed to the blue puzzle piece design. By supporting autism speaks, you are supporting the demonizing terrors of autism, but by celebrating autism in life you are supporting awareness and success of individuals who may need help but are going to live!!!
    

No comments:

Post a Comment

But I Can and No One Will Stop Me!

       I got off of the bus one afternoon during my middle school years to see an elaborately decorated yellow car sitting in my driveway. I...