Dickinson Mental Health Charity Ball

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

The words your not supposed to say

     People always sa that individuals on the spectrum aren't very social. Well, if you know me I am social and I am loud. I am very loud and sometimes thats not such a great idea. I'm the one who you can here in wal-mart even though I'm ten aisles down from you. My parents have honestly threatened to send me to a speech therapist if I would lower my voice and modulate it. Well, that never happened and I am still loud. I am also the one who when my parents have to tell a guest before they come to our house that I have aspergers, just tell them that I don't seem really different, but I'm just really loud. Well this week I have had to keep quiet!!!
     I have already counted three times that I have had to keep my mouth shut. Sometimes its easier and sometimes its harder. The first one was when I gave my notice at my job last week. I didn't abruptly just quit my job and say heck with it. There was a lot that I took into consideration and it was almost as if I was naturally lead in that direction. I knew I would leave eventually, but I didn't know when. Well, God has his plans and he figuratively told me or let me know that now is the time, by putting other things ahead of me.
     I gave my notice at my job and tried to stay quiet about it. I think I may have told a few staff members who I trusted just because I had to say something, but I hadn't planned on letting everyone know. There was no reason for them not to know, but there was no reason for them to know. I think the first thought to come to mind was that I didn't want my clients to know. I didn't know how to tell my clients who giggle when they come in the door and see me. When I ask them why they are giggling and tell me its because I am there. I didn't know how to tell someone that doesn't process information the same way you or I do. I didn't know how to tell someone that doesn't transition well.
      Fortunately or unfortunately I came into work and the secret was clearly let out of the box somehow. I just went about my day and then one of my coworkers was talking to a client about me leaving. The secret was out and I was a little upset. I knew I would have to break the news somehow, but I didn't expect it to happen like that. I would have much preferred I talked to my boss about how to address our clients. In the end it worked out okay though.
     The second thing I still can't really say much about other than I really need to keep my lips zipped. We have a small parking lot at work that our clients use to get clients in and out of the center. At that entrance there is a ramp and a cement patio in which you can easily wheel wheelchairs. Unfortunately, people were moving into a house nest door to us on this given day. That meant that they had an eighteen wheeler parked in our parking lot. You would think maybe a big box truck, but no this was an eighteen wheeler. I'll post a picture and video at the end. Needless to say we had to do some stuff to keep everyone safe, which probably wasn't the smartest thing to do on a normal basis, but in this situation was a must. Safety comes before rules and lets keep it at that. But right now I can laugh at the crazy stuff we had to do.
     Lastly I must state that my math teacher isn't allowed to give out extra credit, but today we had a quiz that we could gain points on beyond our 100 percent score. We just couldn't call then extra credit. Now knowing me, I would go around telling everyone I got extra credit in math, but shh its a secret so I didn't.
     Overall, I am just saying that its so hard to keep my mouth shut and sometimes I need to monitor what I say. It could be as simple as not telling someone there shirt is ugly or as complex as keeping people safe. There are just some things in life that will be our little secret!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

But I Can and No One Will Stop Me!

       I got off of the bus one afternoon during my middle school years to see an elaborately decorated yellow car sitting in my driveway. I...