Dickinson Mental Health Charity Ball

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Sisterly Reflections

     Seventeen years ago today, I welcomed my little brother into my life. A day later I went to the hospital to visit him and I even got to hold him. I was only a toddler at the time, but I was so excited to have a baby brother. I was determined to help my mommy take care of this little bundle of joy. To this day I love my brother with that same exact love, but we show it in different ways. Its not so much about how we get along today, but the experiences that have lead us to where we are today and the happy moments in our lives together

Snort
    Every child learns their animals at a young age or for the most part. We like to experiment with our voice and learn how to pronounce words. Sometimes in the process we pick up other ways to get our message across. During our early years, my brother and i made up our own words. I ended up calling elephants blemit's and my brother called rhino's, snorts which I find absolutely adorable. The medical geek in me even finds this kind of amusing since rhino actually means nose and you snort with your nose. Maybe children are smarter then we think. 

Invisible Dog
     My mother was never a stay at home mom, but she did have her own business with flexible hours. We still went to daycare though. During our daycare years my brother met a little girl who at the age of three he declared was his "girlfriend". I think they probably "broke up" when they were about five because they went to different schools and were interested in different kids, but they still played soccer together. 
     All kids want what is cool and somehow his "girlfriend", found out about this really cool invisible dog that you could take care of. My brother thought this was the best toy invention ever and begged my parents for one. We were down in disney at one point and my father showed my brother the invisible dog. The invisible dog was a wire with a wire harness/muzzle thing attached. My brother looked at the toy and realized there was no dog and then looked up to my father in utter disgust and declared that he didn't want said invisible dog. 

The Hat
     I have always been a rule driven person, but my brother has always been the one to push the buttons when it comes to the little stuff. He's a typical kid or now teenager. Several years ago we decided to go to disney world with some family friends. During our trip there, we went to a sit down restaurant, which we never do there. It was a great experience, but if you have ever been to the Prime Time Cafe, it is a hoot. At this time, my brother was still unaware of the fact that it was impolite to have your hat on at the table. My brother was asked by the waiter who was our "mother" for the night to take his hat off a number of times. He refused to take it. Eventually our waitress physically took the hat from my brother for the remainder of dinner. Of course he was allowed having it back at the end, but to see his reaction was hilarious. I think now my brother knows how important it is to take your hat off. 

Slimed
     Yeas ago we decided to enjoy our spring break at the nick hotel. One of the various activities that you could participate in was slime time live. We filled out an application and were a team picked to compete. At this time speed stack cups were a huge deal. Anyway we got picked to sit in the seats in fron of a huge crowd with the chance of being slimed. I got the fortune of sliming my little brother in the face. He totally deserved it after all fights he has picked with me. 



The Past 17 years haven't always been easy, but they sure have been interesting. My brother and I will always be together during happy times and during hard times.

No comments:

Post a Comment

But I Can and No One Will Stop Me!

       I got off of the bus one afternoon during my middle school years to see an elaborately decorated yellow car sitting in my driveway. I...