Dickinson Mental Health Charity Ball

Sunday, April 28, 2013

More braking bonds!!!

     As many of you know, I have a lot ahead of me in the next couple of months. This week is finals week, which means studying my butt off. With that studying also comes time to say by to some friends. I may have to study but man, hanging out with friends is a total stress relief and it has done me well. This week  have to say by to one friend who is near and dear to my heart. I met him on campus this year and we became fast friends.
     It was only a couple months ago where Rick and I were sitting in a club meeting. I had been in the club since the beginning of the year, but rick was new. As we talked and got to know each other, we realized that we were very similar. We have the same personality, same sense of humor, and even somewhat of the same family lifestyle. He has a younger sister and I have a  younger brother. We even feel the same on some religious views.
     My favorite part of our friendship was the laughs we had and the stories we told. We even had some pretty great inside jokes that made it really awkward to talk about in front of grandma, but thats a different story. Rick wasn't just a friend though, he was a friend who came over for dinner every now and then. He had know place to go for easter so we fed him Easter dinner. That is, because our campus has no easter break.
     I vividly remember acting giddy that I had a friend coming over for Easter. We had to pick Rick up from campus because he didn't have a car with him. My parents hadn't met him yet, but my parents trusted me. Thank god for facebook I was able to show my parents pictures of him and thats all that mattered.
     As we sat at the kitchen table feasting on our easter meal, I remember sharing stories of our family and various other subjects. Rick would sit and listen to the stories just peeping in every once in a while. A great listener he was. After dinner was over, he helped us clear the table and then we played some games. I beat the crap out of him in Othello and I don't think he won a game of it, but he likes playing it and seeing me win. When we talk about hanging out he mentions getting beat in Othello and it makes me giggle.
     Not only do we have the same humor, and interest in Othello, but we are both pet lovers. Rick loves dogs and alks about dogs, but really I'm sure inside somewhere he likes cats just as much. He says he's a dog person, but when he steps foot inside my house, you see his whole face light up when one of my cats greets him. Just today, we were distracted by our cats while playing games. The cats wanted to help so we gave them some love and attention. As Rick left he made sure to say bye to the cats and on our way back to his dorm, he got to tell me all about his dog.
     As a child, I was always reminded that there is a huge difference between friends and acquaintances and that I didn't really have any real friends. Most of my friends had separate lives and saw me when they had the chance. My parents would tell me that a real friend is someone who you talk to every day when you get home from school or in class. You called each other on the phone. Okay, this was a few years back after all.
     Okay, I am not trying to be romantic here. Rick was a friend, not just a friend, but someone who I could talk too. He wasn't a boyfriend,but he wasn't an acquaintance either. He was somewhere in between and to be perfectly honest, neither of us were or are interested in the dating option. Right now were focused on college and friendships, not relationships, but I think Rick has taught me a huge lesson. Not everyone you meet is going to be your best friend and not everyone you meet is going to be your acquaintance. Sometimes there just right there in the middle where you need them to be. Rick has also taught me what it really means to have a friend. Friends have there own schedules, but if they really care, they will fit you into theres and not worry about how many times simply J is going to call them in one hour. lol I had a bad habit of this because he never answers his cell. Maybe thats because its always dead. (clear throat here) Needless to say, Rick has taught me a lot about life. More than I can put in words here or than I feel I can share without his permission. He has taught me that overcoming obstacles is possible and not worrying about the little things is a must. Curiosity is a good thing, but worrying is not. Thank you rick for all you have taught me in these few short months!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

But I Can and No One Will Stop Me!

       I got off of the bus one afternoon during my middle school years to see an elaborately decorated yellow car sitting in my driveway. I...