Dickinson Mental Health Charity Ball

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Pardon the interruption for a very important announcement

   Okay! Not really, but I would like to talk to you about my bad habit of interrupting. Over the years we have worked on my social skills; I have come a long way, but there is still stuff to work on. One of those things is interrupting; it sounds so basic, but for some reason I can't get the hang of it. The exciting news is that I think I know why at least. The first step is noticing it and its a plus to know why its happening.

    Last weekend, we had company over. I must of interrupted every other sentence that weekend. I felt bad that I was doing it and I knew I was doing , but I couldn't help it. I've told my doctors in the past that its like a tic or obsessive thought that I have to say. I have now discovered thats what it feels like, but thats not what it is. The interrupting has to do with processing.

    Yes, I do obsess over stuff and sometimes I just have to say it. The fact though is that my interrupting has to do with processing. Have you ever had a time when you knew there was something you wanted to say about a particular topic, but that topic was over and a new one was started? Yup, thats what happens to me essentially. Let me explain though because it is a little more complex even though it compares.

    When someone is having a conversation and I want to say something, it takes long for me to form the actual thought than the typical person. For example, given the thought "the cat is cute", I can say oh yeah it is, but if everyone just agreed there would be no conversation. I know that I need to add to conversation, but by the time the thought "yes the cat is cute, I really like its stripes" comes into my head, the conversation is over. My mind is still behind on the other conversation. A long with this is one more problem.

   There is a fluent conversation going on and I want to add a statement. I think about what I want to say, but I am two seconds late with adding it. I haven't realized the other person is already talking and I have finally processed through my thought. Until I process through my thought, realize the other person is talking, and get the words to my lips, its already to late. Lets face it, interrupting is more complex than anyone realize. Some people think that its as simple as just waiting until someone is done talking, but its much much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

But I Can and No One Will Stop Me!

       I got off of the bus one afternoon during my middle school years to see an elaborately decorated yellow car sitting in my driveway. I...