Dickinson Mental Health Charity Ball

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Connecting two worlds!!!

Over the years I have watched documentaries about autism and I have read books about autism. I have even been to the National Autism Conference at Penn State. One thing that always comes up as a treatment for autism is joining the autistic individuals world. An example of this would be rocking like they rock.
     Today I was sitting in the car having a conversation with my mother. My mom and I get along very well with either MOST of the time. Today we had a little disagreement. I had said something. She then said something and I said that is what I have been trying to tell you. she then replied with "No you said this, I heard you and this is what you said". She was very determined to get the last word and to correct me. I got very upset. Later on she told me that she was just doing what I always do to her. I must always have the last word. This may be one of the reasons I have so much trouble getting along with others.
      Individuals who have classic autism may need behavioral therapy such as that. They don't have the cognitive skills to think someone is annoyed with them or making fun of them. People with Aspergers know that they are different and they know they have stuff to work on. A good way to work with individuals like me is to make me aware of my behaviors, but don't mimick them. Mimicking is for those that need aren't aware of the behaviors they need to change and that are in there own world to a point where they can't function. The thought that may cross their mind is that someone is also doing the same thing as me, why don't I socialize or interact with them. I interact, i socialize; sometimes i just don't know how to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

But I Can and No One Will Stop Me!

       I got off of the bus one afternoon during my middle school years to see an elaborately decorated yellow car sitting in my driveway. I...