Dickinson Mental Health Charity Ball

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Saying Good Bye

When I started high school, I was really struggling. That is when we went out to seek professional help. Since then I have been on a road to recovery. When I was in the 10th grade, I had started to struggle again, but this was short lived. There were just a lot of changes going on in my life. I needed a role model or mentor to be part of my life. I wanted some there that could give me their undivided attention. That attention and that person came through Big Brothers Big Sisters. One of the best decisions I ever made, was to get a big sisters. I wish I had done it earlier.
    
       About two years ago my mom made the call the changed my life for the better. She called our local Big Brothers, Big Sisters program. She hesitated to do this at first because our overall family circumstances are stable, but she did it for the Aspergers. I needed a real friendship. It was in the middle of December when there is no sun and its cold outside. Our case manager from Big Brothers, Big Sisters  put me on a waiting list right away. I was a very easy client that needed some simple needs met. Around February, two months after we applied, we got approved to open my case and to find a Big Sister for me. I was matched just in time for my birthday.

        Over the years I have done tons of stuff with my big sisters, including iceskating, baking and going out to eat just to name a few. I had some very fun times with her, but the time has come where we must go our own ways. People come into our lives for a reason and sometimes they have to leave our lives for a reason. People change and situations change. We will still be in contact, but the commitment that I need from someone is pretty strong. Since I have Aspergers, I need consistency and sadly that didn't work well for us. I need someone that can have a schedule with me. That wasn't there by the end of our partnership. We are still friends, just not sisters.

         The times I had with my Big sisters were great, but I think we both have a great future ahead of us. We can't sweat the small stuff such as simple relationships. We need to follow our passions and what we really want. There was a reason for her to be here, but maybe God only wanted us to be together for a certain time. We have gone down our separate paths, I mean I am starting college now.

         This summer has been a great summer, but now it is time to reflect and move on. This summer has been the most stable summer I have had since I was in Elementary School. I didn't have any emotional problems for two and half months. I am growing into a young woman and I have a lot to look forward to. I really don't know what this year holds for me, but I am excited to see what it brings and what God has in store for me. There will be clubs to join and new activities to try. I don't know, maybe I will be a mentor someday, but for now I am getting a new mentor for myself, at least for the next school year.

The past is in the past and the future is ahead of me. What will it bring???

No comments:

Post a Comment

But I Can and No One Will Stop Me!

       I got off of the bus one afternoon during my middle school years to see an elaborately decorated yellow car sitting in my driveway. I...