Dickinson Mental Health Charity Ball

Monday, August 22, 2011

I feel free

   Today was my first day of "college" and it was awesome!!! I had a blast meeting new people and learning new things. The first half of the day was comprised of orientation stuff, meet and greet, and lunch time where we got to meet our mentors. I think this year is going to be a good year. I already got invited to a concert by one of the mentors. I feel like a real college student and I feel accepted by my peers for who I am.

   I didn't go to any classes today because I am part of a special program that is for high school students ages 18-21. I am still enrolled in my local school district, but I am transported to the local campus. I have a learning support teacher who is the actual person who grades me too. Tomorrow I will start classes; I have introduction to psychology and infant and child development. I am so excited, but I don't have a mentor for them yet.

   One thing that I really like about this campus experience is that even though I am considered a high school student, I still get all the same privileges as my peers. I have the freedom to come and go to and from the classroom, I have the schools currency on my student id which means I get discounts on my meals and I am able to come and go to my classes. We even have the freedom to leave the classroom to go study in a quieter location. First thing this morning my teacher actually sent me to go complete a task in the huge building that our classroom resides in. That was the first time that I was able to show her that she can trust me. I went and did and I came back. If you get separated from the group you don't get in trouble. You just meet up later.

   I think this year is going to be great!!! I have already learned so much new stuff and I have only been going to college for one day. I had been worried about whether people would understand me and accept me and so far that has not been an issue. My teacher is also awesome because she knows what we are capable of and what are strengths and weaknesses are. Overall I had a great day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

But I Can and No One Will Stop Me!

       I got off of the bus one afternoon during my middle school years to see an elaborately decorated yellow car sitting in my driveway. I...