Dickinson Mental Health Charity Ball

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

transition, classes and recruiting

   Yesterday, I had a great day and I also thought that yesterday was a huge day. Today I was proved wrong. Today was the biggest day so far, but i actually did have the chance to eat lunch and actually enjoy it. I started out the day with transition class and I ended the day with volunteering/recruiting.

    As all of you know, we had the earthquake yesterday. The earthquake has disturbed us all and we are all still recovering. We started off transition class by talking about the earth's surface and how earthquakes happened. We also obviously learned about the earthquake that hit yesterday. Our teacher told us that there are no faults in virginia, but there are ancient plates that moved. we also learned about the rumbling and the s wave, which I thought was pretty neat.

   After transition I had about ten or fifteen minutes to do a reading for one of my classes, which by the way I have to drop because I have too many classes. After that I went to speech class which was absolutely boring, but I hope it picks up in space and interest. It is a public speaking class after all and I love public speaking. After speech, I got to enjoy a nice lunch with mentors.

   I love lunch, not only because it involves food, but because we get alone time without coaches. We are taken down to the pizza place in our building and we sit with our mentors who are peers. Eating lunch with our mentors really improves our self-esteem because we are finally placed with students who are normal and who are accepting. I felt like a normal teenager for once.

   After lunch, I spent the rest of the day being a pain in the butt to my fellow college students. I got to nag them with flyers and loud voices to come be a mentor for our classes. I went through a lot of flyers because I was really out there. The volunteer fair was really good for me too because I was able to look at other volunteer opportunities and clubs. I am able to be like a normal college student and participate in normal activities. I love it!!!

   Overall my college experience has been awesome. I get along with my teacher great and I hope everything continues to go as smoothly as it has so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment

But I Can and No One Will Stop Me!

       I got off of the bus one afternoon during my middle school years to see an elaborately decorated yellow car sitting in my driveway. I...