Dickinson Mental Health Charity Ball

Friday, August 12, 2011

A love/hate relationship

      I have a love/hate relationship with my occupation. As I have grown up, I have been one of the most social and outgoing people you will ever meet, but having Aspergers challenges my personality. I have never wanted to have a desk job, but I have always wanted to work with people; I want to work with people who have developmental disabilities. That comes with a price though which is losing the ability to have time and space to myself which I sometimes need considering I have Aspergers. Everyone wants space to themselves, but people with Aspergers need it when they need it, not when it is convenient for others. For people with Aspergers, breaks are necessary to maintain sanity and not meltdown.
  
       I have said on a number of occasions that I work at an adult daycare. Working at an adult daycare entails socializing with people for a good five hours at a time with a thirty minute lunch break. While socializing with the clients, you must being doing activities with them such as crafts and games. Maybe even a puzzle if that is what they want to do. The socializing isn't simple nor is it for the faint of heart. You are not only socializing, but constantly redirecting and aiding those who can't physically do an activity. We do this because the individuals have an interest in a particular activity and they can't be secluded because of disABILITY, which I love.

        I know I am complaining a lot about work, but that is not my point. My point is that people with Aspergers need space, but they also have specific interests that they can't change. Mine is working with special needs individuals. I love it and that is what I am called to do. If you have ever heard of people with autism connecting with horses, i connect with people who have developmental disabilities. I feel like I am new to the working environment and I still have a lot to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

But I Can and No One Will Stop Me!

       I got off of the bus one afternoon during my middle school years to see an elaborately decorated yellow car sitting in my driveway. I...