Dickinson Mental Health Charity Ball

Monday, October 17, 2011

A Knife and A Bus

   About two years ago I started going to an apartment where I would learn how to live on my own. Many of the individuals who go there are mentally challenged, but some just need to work on interpersonal skills. I am one that has to work on interpersonal skills, which means that I need to work on my social skills and work on getting along with my roommates. One bad habit I have is to be bossy, but sometimes I don't know the difference between bossiness and helpfulness.

   The other day my family was sitting at the kitchen table eating a nice meal together. We kind of have assigned seats at the table, but that may just be because I insist on sitting at the same seat every night. My brother sits across from me. I needed a knife for the butter so I asked my brother for the knife. That wasn't a problem, but he handed the knife to me with the sharp part pointing at me. I asked him if he knew how to give a knife to someone. He said he did and acted like I was being bossy. My parents agreed with him. I don't understand how that came across as being bossy or smart, I was simply trying to help my brother.

   Now let me put myself in a different situation. Both me and my brother ride the high school bus so therefore we go out to the bus at the same time each morning. I have a problem with my executive functioning which is basically putting events in order to make things more productive. I am normally late for the bus or so my brother things so. He normally gets agitated when I am not out on time. I don't understand how him telling me its time to go for the bus is different from me teaching how to use a knife.

Does anyone have tips???

No comments:

Post a Comment

But I Can and No One Will Stop Me!

       I got off of the bus one afternoon during my middle school years to see an elaborately decorated yellow car sitting in my driveway. I...