Dickinson Mental Health Charity Ball

Monday, October 17, 2011

Santa Claus

Since, its nearing the holidays I thought I would share a little bit about how I perceived Santa Claus. Its interesting the stuff I didn't share with my parents. This just shows how an aspie views the world and that we are very intelligent despite our lack of social skills.


Santa Claus Snapshot
Questions

1. How will I know whether or not to get my children presents when they are kids if I don't know if santa claus is real?
    Most kids by the time they are 10 no longer believe in Santa Claus or at least that is my experience, Maybe its younger or maybe its older. Either way they don't believe, but for some reason I believed much longer tan my peers did and I think my parents were proud of that. They got to the point where they told me that if I don't believe in Santa Claus, then I won't get presents and that I shouldn't tell my peers that I don't believe.
   As a child, I believed in whatever my parents told me. To be perfectly honest I was scared to admit to my parents that I didn't believe or that in some ways I agreed with my friends because I wouldn't get presents. I might have even told my friends that you don't get presents if you don't believe. One year my friend got a backpack for christmas and I asked if santa gave it to her. she said know santa doesn't come to my house. My parents give me gifts. I was in SHOCK
    Around late elementary, early middle school, I finally had to come to some conclusion as to whether this guy was real or not. I had this feeling that I was going to have kids in my near future and I needed to know. What if my kids didn't get presents? There isn't an instruction manual for parents. I had those intellectual thoughts because of my honesty. Now that I am older, I realize that I would be doomed for life whenever my boyfriend or spouse found out that I still believed. How would he tell me it wasn't true? How would we get gifts for our kids? Would my husband be embarrased?

2. Why does Santa Leave his spot at the Mall?
     Santa Claus has a house at my mall. If he is on working duty, he must be at his spot. I never saw him wandering the mall. I would always ask my parents why he wasn't at his spot. Due to my lack of empathy and looking at the bigger picture, I didn't think that he needed to eat or that he needed to use the restroom. I thought that he lived there and that was it. I didn't realize that people actually got breaks. I didn't know anything about work, but I knew that santa should be there for me.

3. How can Santa be here, the north pole and other malls?
    Santa Claus lives at the north pole doesn't he? Well yes he does, but he needs to visit my mall. He also has to visit other malls so that other kids don't get left out. My mothers excuse: Santa claus doesn't come to your mall, his elves do. Really? Then who is making my toys or does he just have a couple elves come out. I kind of let it that and took her answer. Also, I thought elves were short.

4. The honest truth is that Santa Claus doesn't drive in a sleigh, but in a red convertable with red and white stripes.
    Well the truth is that deer don't fly and that there is know sleigh, but I was very surprised to find this out. When I was in elementary school santa would always come to my house before christmas to ask me exactly what we wanted. It actually got to the point where we knew he wasn't real, but it was tradition. My parents cut him out of our life then. At the end of the visit when he leaves we normally go to the back door to watch his sleigh leave. Truth be told, my last year seeing him, he was driving a red convertable with red and white striped seats. At least that is what I saw, but you know glances don't show everything.

5. My parents made me hallucinate a sleigh in the sky as a child.
    My parents made me believe something or hallucinate something that wasn't there. I have always had a vision impairment and have been as gullible as ever. My parents would point to the sky and say oh theres the sleigh and the reindeer. I kind of just went a long with it or said I don't see it. The one year I actually faked myself into seeing a blue sleigh with reindeers. It was probably just an airplane mark.

6. The mysterious wrapping paper
    Well the truth is that my parents let it out, but not on purpose. They let me know in a way that santa wasn't real. My mom totally let it out of the bag when she showed me the paper that "santa" used the year before. With the cognition I had, I automatically knew that she was the mysterious wrapper and that my dad was the cookie eater. So much for keeping that a secret. lol

No comments:

Post a Comment

But I Can and No One Will Stop Me!

       I got off of the bus one afternoon during my middle school years to see an elaborately decorated yellow car sitting in my driveway. I...