Dickinson Mental Health Charity Ball

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Today I worshipped in the Temple of Grandin

   If you are a facbook follower of mine you know that I went to see Temple Grandin today. There are a lot of things I could say about her with such little space. She is like a service dog, but yet she is like a clown. She is smart, but inpatient. I love her, but mother is scared of her. She is a rockstar, but I was not on a make a wish trip. She is an amazing woman.

   I don't know if any of you have ever had this experience, but I have seen pictures of her, but she is real. The pictures let you know in your mind that she is real, but when you are standing in a lobby two feet away from her, she is REAL I have to admit, I think I got a little excited and I tapped her on the shoulder. Oops.

   I first want to start off by saying that she is like a service dog. A service dog you can't touch, play or pet and you can't touch, play or pet with Temple either. She is a great lady, but she is working and she gets sensory overload. I mean, can you blame her, she has a demanding job. When you go near her, let her be the one to ask questions and give hugs and handshakes. Also, have your camera ready; she has a lot of people waiting.

   On the other hand, she is absolutely hilarious. It can be very difficult to talk to her because she does have autism, but I also have autism so I am not complaining. When she speaks, its a whole different story. Her speeches are like my blog entires; it gives her a way to express herself. She is hilarious. Some special things I notices were that she made no penn state comments and she love to remember steve jobs. If there were no Steve Jobs or aspies. there would be no computers.

   Another thing that was interesting was that she is able to act autistic, so I acted autistic while I was there. I stimmed and didin't care. I talked to anyone and everyone. I didn't care how excited I got. In public I normally have to so this was a great moment for me. Some people wondered why I was so excited and my mom explained to them that this was like meeting a famous actress or celebrity. Temple Grandin is my hero and she makes me shine on. I definitely do have to say that this was like being on a wish trip, but it wasn't. It was an equally good moment and a night with my mom I will cherish for a lifetime.

Meeting Temple Grandin on task that I can check off on my list of things to do before I die.

No comments:

Post a Comment

But I Can and No One Will Stop Me!

       I got off of the bus one afternoon during my middle school years to see an elaborately decorated yellow car sitting in my driveway. I...