Dickinson Mental Health Charity Ball

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Taking Gods Lead

   As a child, there were many different things that I wanted to be when I grew up including a carpenter, a teacher, an actress, and now an occupational therapist, but I feel that god has other plans. The one occupation that stuck in my head for quite some time as a child, was to be an elementary school teacher. I thought that grading was so fascinating, but people told me that, that was too unstructured. I was told to pick something like a librarian, but then my interests really started to show.

   I know the other week I told you all that I hate being told I can't do something because of a disability. I never took that to heart when I wanted to be an elementary school teacher. I just new I needed to work harder and that I could still do it. One suggesting that hit the right spot in my heart was to be an occupational therapist. I was able to help people who had a disability and people new I had a passion for it. There it was, a dream job that we all agreed on.

   Today I still want to be an occupational therapist, but I need to think about whether that is what god wants me to do. I still plan on applying to college and getting a degree, but at the same time, god is telling me something else. I feel that it is important to work hard at something you want to do, but never put 100 percent of all your effort into something in case you don't like it. I have been fortunate for other doors to open up.

   The occupational therapy job is still a possibility, but when I say god is leading me somewhere else, I mean that he is giving me options that are too good to be true. I am getting offers for other ideas without even trying. If you want to do something you need to try, but if god wants you to do something, it does take work, but it comes more naturally. At this point I am being drawn towards public speaking and writing a book.

   These two things don't come from liking fame, but the mere fact that I am getting attention that makes others happy and lets me know there is more out there.  I am not trying to get this attention, but people are giving it to me. This blog has gained attention from my doctors and from there bosses. This blog has been shared through emails. I have been invited for three short speaking engagements in the past two months. I am at a loss right now.

   The other option is to become an author. Many have told me that I connect the two worlds: the autism world and the normal world. People have loved my writing which has lead to me wanting to right a book and others to want me to speak. I think this is a time to pray and let myself go with the flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

But I Can and No One Will Stop Me!

       I got off of the bus one afternoon during my middle school years to see an elaborately decorated yellow car sitting in my driveway. I...